Tuesday, March 10, 2009

New Animals

No, I don't have new animals. What I do have is a temporary job. I am helping with the Southeast Christian Church Easter Passion this year. I sort of volunteered under pressure. But I am enjoying my job with them.

I am helping to care for the lambs used in the production. Yesterday, I got to help feed the little hungry lambs. I think they are all less than three weeks old. One is a poor little lamb whose mother rejected him but took his twin. His name is Louie because he was born in Louisville. Then there is angel with the little deformed ear. He is a cutie.

I have been helping give them sponge baths. It is too chilly to give them a full bath. They lay on my lap and let me wash them with a wet wash cloth. They often put their little noses up to my nose and smell my breath. I have named some of them. There is Easter, Marley and Lambchop. They are sweet little things.

When the actors take them into the production, they can often be heard calling for their little herd mates. They are all about staying with the flock. Like horses, sheep know there is safety in numbers. When their roles are finished, they are put in a large dog crate and wheeled back to their roomy pens where they will soon be fed again.

Also in the production is a horse, a camel, two donkey and a goat. They are all well taken care of and very gentle. Our mountain horses could do that too but they use a quarter horse. All the animals are very calm and well trained. Did I mention the chickens and doves? The doves are beautiful white doves. One is released each evening and during the scene where John baptizes Jesus, a spotlight is shown on the actor playing Jesus and the dove flies down (almost without fail) and lands on his shoulder.

The production is very dramatic and very deeply touching. I have seen parts of it this year while working with the lambs and actors and in past years, I have been in the audience to see it all the way through to the end and it is very emotional. The scenes of the passion and death of Jesus is very realistic.

It never fails to bring me to tears in almost any part of it that I watch. And a further note. All the actors are volunteers. The people who sing are very talented and could sing almost anywhere they choose. But these dedicated Christians have chosen to use their talents to praise the Lord and to bring the good news of Christ's birth, ministry, death and resurrection to those many thousands of people who attend every year.

I hope you get to attend, if not this year, then next.

No comments:

Post a Comment