Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Melissa, Rose, Andi and Velvet




First picture is of Melissa riding Velvet. Her she is being led around the arena. She had just fallen off and gotten back on so Stacie was leading her to help her transition from falling off to rebuilding confidence. Second picture, Melissa on Blooming Rose (Rose)

This picture was taken back in 1960. Bill and I had already gotten married. It seemed as soon as I got married and left home Daddy bought the horse we would have all loved to have. Her name was Cherry and she was a Quarter Horse. She was a sorrel and we all loved her. Especially my Dad and brother, Bob. Bob had saddled Cherry up that day and Cherry and I were ready to go for a ride. I was like Melissa then. I had no fear of falling off. I think I had already fallen off of her once but it was ok. I was 18 and full of myself and confident that nothing could ever really hurt me.




We certainly had a busy day yesterday. Melissa, Lucy and I went to Stanton to ride again at the Van Bert Farm. Jamie was there to greet us and soon had Blooming Rose out for Melissa to ride. It wasn't long before they were in the outdoor arena. Melissa had asked Jamie if she could go out there with Rosie. So he agreed to let her ride outside again.

Melissa is having a hard time with the same thing that is hard for me. She will not take the reins up far enough to get a real good hold on the horse. I am learning from watching Jamie teach Melissa to ride. Rosie got away from her a little but S T stepped out in front of her and stopped her. Melissa then did better about taking the reins up. I too had a problem with that because I am fearful that I will get into her mouth too much. I am fearful I will hurt her mouth.

After lunch Jamie got Rockin Andi saddled up and I rode her. I am getting more comfortable in the saddle. Then Lucy had a turn. Lucy is really loving the riding. She even rode with others in the barn. That always makes me a little uncomfortable. I am always thinking that maybe my horse will do something to startle the others or they will do something to startle my horse. But Lucy is getting more comfortable on Andi and I truly love that little mare. I liked her the first time I ever saw her and knew that was a horse I needed to own.

Our afternoon soon came to an end at Van Berts and we drove over to see Chris and Stacie at Cool Shade Mountain Horses. They have two of my horses in training and have been showing the two of them this year.

Stacie and Chris want to work with Melissa so she can ride Velvet. She is a nice calm 2 year old mare that is a daughter of Choco Dock. I really like that Stallion. I have owned Velvet since she was a weanling. When I got her she had been taught to lead, load and walk across obstacles. She has been an amazing horse from the time I first got her. The farrier and the vet has always liked her because she shows no fear of either. The first time she got her coggins after I owned her, the vet was trying to take care not to scare her but Velvet showed no fear and was not startled when the vet stuck the needle in her.

So Chris and Stacie thought Velvet would be a good horse for Melissa. Lucy, Melissa and I got to their stable just as they were getting Amego out to ride. Stacie soon had Velvet in the cross ties and she and Melissa were grooming her. Stacie put her saddle on Velvet and rode her until she was warmed up. Then Melissa's saddle was put on Velvet. Melissa got on Velvet and was in the process of getting her reins in hand when Velvet walked off with her. Melissa had tightened her legs on Velvet's sides and Velvet knew that meant to walk on. Melissa gripped a little tighter and was having trouble with the reins. Velvet was confused and Melissa gripped a little tighter. And off she came. Velvet stopped.

Her Mother picked her up off the ground and after a few comforting words, Melissa was ready to get back on. That girl is a real trooper. So Stacie led her around the arena until she was too tired to walk any more. Then she had Melissa to guide Velvet a circle around her. Chris stepped into the arena and told Melissa to ride to him and then back to Stacie. They did that several times. Then Melissa was ready to go it alone around the arena. She has a lot to learn but she is not afraid to try and she does love to ride. And now so does her Mother.

We had already loaded Blooming Rose onto the trailer so after a good ride on Velvet we headed for home. We had already agreed to bring Melissa back for more lessons. I was excited to be bringing Rosie home to the farm. I really like her. Today I went to the barn early. Mike had already put water in for her this morning and she was pacing back and forth in her stall. She is in a new place and not accustomed to the strange sights and sounds of this different place.

I took her out of the stall and led her around in the barn and a little outside. I tied her up and groomed her. Then put her back in her stall and gave her grain. Tonight I went back to the barn and fed her more grain and hay. After she finished her grain, she continued her pacing back and forth in the stall. I caught her halter and started petting and scratching her neck and shoulder. She stood still for me. I let her halter go and she still stood. I talk to her and make over her and she is beginning to relax a little more now.

Saturday will be a big day for her. Melissa is having her birthday party here and she may have some little riders that want to take a ride on Rose. We will see if Rose is ready for that before Saturday. She may not be settled into her new home by then.

I have an update on Alyssa. Alyssa now weighs over 5 lbs. She will be three weeks old tomorrow. It has been a busy three weeks for her. Thankfully most babies do not have such a full schedule in their first three weeks as Alyssa has. By all indications she is doing pretty well. Thank you all for your prayers. If you would continue to remember her in your prayers, it would surely be appreciated by all of her family. God has already touched her in his marvelous way. He has answered our prayers for her in his loving kindness toward this, his little one.

May God bless you and keep you in his loving care.



Regards

Mary

"A horse is worth more than riches."

~~~Spanish Proverb~~~












No comments:

Post a Comment