Monday, April 5, 2010

Horse Shows and New Babies






Top left is Magic Rhythm and her colt just a few hours old. Top right is WOF's Stephen's Blazin Star. Bottom is WOF's Ann's Mt Treasure.
We just returned from our very first horse show that anyone from my farm actually showed a horse that has not recently been in professional training. It was just as much work as we had imagined. I never thought it looked easy watching how busy Van Bert's and Cool Shade are when they show. But being an adventurous sort we decided to take three horses to show ourselves this year.

Earlier we had decided we would take Satin, Blaze and Annie to this year's shows. Blaze and Annie are yearlings and are of course shown in hand. Blaze and Annie both turned a year old March 31. They are both a hand full and with this being the very first time I have ever tried to do any training, I have made many mistakes. Back in the winter Annie was working really well. Since then she has taken a turn for the worst. She and Blaze both are getting very pushy.

We started out at 5 AM on Thursday morning to go to Fletcher NC for a two day show. As Vera explained each day counted for one show and so to win on both days gave double points.

The first day Bob showed Satin in an open class which meant he was showing against anyone who wished to show. That also meant he would show against professionals. Out of seven entries he placed last but I was very proud of him. He rode well and was able to make a good show with her. Day two was a different story. He once again rode in the class showing against pros and placed 5th out of seven entries. His riding had improved a lot with just a few tips from Larry, Wilda and H T.

The next class with a class of 5 amateurs. He placed 4th and made a really good show. I was thrilled. I think he was rather pleased as well. That class is not populated with people who has just taken up riding. Most of the riders in amature classes have been showing for a number of years but do not fall into the category of professional trainers. So most are very experienced.

Meanwhile, I was doing some showing myself. I took my yearling colt into a class of 4 and placed 4th. He pushed and shoved me all the way around the ring. He ran around in circles and refused to park out. He acted terrible and I could not make that big thing do what I wanted. I told someone at the show I would either show him or he would show me. He showed me. The very next class was the filly class. I was showing a yearling named WOF's Ann's Mt Treasure. She is a gray out of a very productive mare named Rebel's Rocks Ann and by the stallion Homegrown. She behaved pretty well. She didn't crowd me and she led pretty well.

I was traveling in fast company showing against Larry Patterson and Derick Tipton. Somehow I managed to win a first place ribbon against two awesome trainers. Now I have beat two of the industry's best. Where could I go now but down. The next day, that is exactly what I did. I went from first to third the next day. So now there is a three way tie for high points in the yearling filly class. And this will be continued.

Meanwhile earlier in the week back on the farm, Magic Rhythm and Mt Girl both decided it was time for them to foal. On Palm Sunday morning we discovered that we had another colt out of Magic Rhythm and by Blue on Black. I don't know what color he is. Some say he could be a smokey roan except for the black on his top line and across his shoulders. But he is a nice foal and we will see what develops with him

On Tuesday the long awaited Venture's Black Fury foal was born to Blue Ridge Mt Girl. He is black. All black and completely black with no white anywhere. If he is true to his breeding he will be a nice foal. He is small right now. It is Mt Girl's first foal. But he will grow like crazy soon. He already is in fact. My brother Bob likes to say the foals are in a milk coma after they nurse and they lay down flat on their sides. So right now with the three babies, we are seeing a lot of milk comas.

There will be more pictures to follow so check back soon. I am having trouble getting pictures from my camera card. Soon, I promise.

May God bless and keep you in his loving care.

Regards

Mary


Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead yet shall he live; And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

John 11: 25-26

No comments:

Post a Comment