Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog from the Bog

We just returned home today from Van Bert Farms in Stanton Ky. We had a wonderful time. The Van Berts always do things in a classy way. And this was no exception. We stayed at the Cottage overlooking the farm. I love that cottage. Vera has it decorated so cute. Of course there are a lot of horse pictures and the best is the view of the farm. Yesterday when we got up the pastures were completely covered with fog and the sun was barely able to peek over the horizon. The fog lifted as everyone started to gather for part 2 of the ACTHA competitive trail competition. Most of the horses and riders who had been there on Friday returned for the more difficult ride on Saturday.

I competed in the Friday ride but did not get to compete Saturday due to birthday parties for a couple of special girls. My granddaughter Lucy and great granddaughter Melissa.

Friends met Bob, Eleanor and me at the cottage on Thursday afternoon as we were about to unload the three horses we were using for the ride. Bob took Satin, Amigo went for Sheri and I took J R. He is Eleanor's horse. Bob, Tom (Sheri's husband) and Eleanor got on the three horses and went for a good ride on Thursday evening. They had a wonderful ride. I don't know who enjoyed it more, Eleanor on her horse or Tom on Amigo whom he calls the Cadillac. They rode for a long time and finally just before it got too dark to see, they returned to the cottage to show me how Amigo and Satin could come up the steep hill in the back.

Friday morning was cool and windy. I stated that my two goals was to stay warm and to finish the ride. I got it half right. I did finish the ride. I even made a decent score on most of the obstacles even though I came in last in the field. So what happened to staying warm you may ask. I was sure dressed warm enough. I wore a heavy sweat shirt and a wind breaker. I wasn't going for best dressed obviously.

The ride went really well. I had a couple of anxious moments when J R argued with me about whether he should be allowed to graze while we were waiting for Sheri and Amigo and Bob and Satin to finish one of the obstacles. But I did get his feet to moving and he didn't try eating again for awhile. We finished the witches fingers with scores of 8 for each of us. We did the cape with an eight for each of us. We did a good job crossing the river. And again scored 8s for both of us. And we made it up the hill just fine. All went well until the fifth obstacle.

The fifth obstacle was a downhill. J R was once again stomping and doing little crow hops. We were at the top of the hill and Bob had already gone down and so had Sheri. J R sometimes wants to go a little fast down hills and he was getting anxious to not be left behind. I elected to let someone lead him down the hill and I dismounted and walked down. Thus getting a zero on the obstacle. Doug Spier helped me remount at the bottom of the hill. So far so good.

That when it all happened. There was a narrow pass that the horses had to go through to get back to the river. It was wet and had been churned up by all the other horses that had already gone through it before me. It was not just wet, it was a bog. J R stepped in and immediately went up to his belly in the mud. He was churning his feet trying his best to get through it when he lost his balance and got over on his left side like he just laid down. He really couldn't help it.

I lost my seat and I fell off into the mud. J R regain his footing and bless his sweet heart stood there right by his fallen rider. I love that old horse. He is a good hearted gelding. Doug came over and helped me out of the mud. Someone else led J R out of the bog and Doug once again helped me mount. J R and I finished the ride. We were both covered with mud and wet. I was a little cold but pleased on two fronts.

That is the first time I have ever been able to remount when I took an unscheduled dismount. We finished the course. J R and I were working good as a team on the last obstacle that they called "stirring the witches brew". I had to pick up a broom and place it in the barrel and ride my horse around the barrel. I did not ride quiet far enough around so we both got an 8 on that obstacle. But we finished.

I got off in the barn and J R got sprayed off to wash the mud off of him. I felt I had over come a lot in that ride.

So the rest of the story. When the winners were announced for the Pleasure class, Bob won first and Sheri won second. They were riding horses owned by Whispering Oaks Farm so I had reason to celebrate besides both being friends and family. When best dressed was announced, Bob won that one too and he won the jackpot as the rider with the highest score that had contributed to the jackpot.

It was a good day for our group, the farm and for me. I have finally overcome a lot of my fear of being on a horse and riding. Going down the hill will come soon. I am better at down hills than I was last year. I started getting that under control last winter when we were riding around the farm.

First several rides, I avoided the hills as best I could. But I started getting braver and started riding down hills in places I could have just as easily ridden around. Like I mentioned before I still have some hang ups on that account but I will learn how to do it and do it well.

I stayed until the winners were announced and then I went and took a good hot shower.

I looked in the mirror and I sure was a mess. I was covered with mud. My clothes were muddy and even my helmet was muddy. I was very thankful for my helmet. It was new, never been worn and it now has scratches on it. That would have been my head had I not been wearing it.

But I got to thinking as I took that shower and felt the good warm water wash over my hair and dirty skin. We would look that way to God if we were not washed by the blood of the lamb, Jesus Christ. God can not look upon sin for he is a righteous God and our sins separate us from him. But Jesus died for us and our sins have been made invisible by the blood of Jesus.

Today we went to lunch with H T and Wilda. Jamie and Carly and her daughter Angel were there as was Greg and Valarie. Before we left I went up to pay for our lunches. When I got to the cash register the lady told me we had already been paid for. When I get to heaven Jesus will say, "Her sins have already been paid for". I thank Jamie for paying for lunches but I thank Jesus each and every day for paying for my sins. Jamie paid with hard earned money but Jesus paid with his life and his blood which was shed for me and for you. So that when we stand before God and are accused by Satan, Jesus will say "Paid in full."

May God bless you and keep you in his loving care.

Love to you all and thank you for reading my blogs. Welcome to my new follower, Steve. Steve is married to my great niece Crystal.



Regards,

Mary

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son that whomsoever should believe on him should not perish but have everlasting life.

John 3: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment