Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It's the Little Things in Life

Chris Tipton and Blue Ridge Mt Girl World Show 2008


Most of our lives are made up of the little things. The simple pleasures. If we wait for the big things to happen, we miss so much of the little things that make life memorable. I remember once in Germany when we were visiting my son and his wife, I was thinking about how short this vacation would be for Bill and me. It would only last three weeks and then we would be home and I would go back to work.




I kept thinking all during that trip, that I needed to savor every moment. As it turned out, Bill and I had fewer moments left together than I realized. Although he lived another five and a half years after that, the time went so quickly and then he was gone and I live alone. Most days the dogs just aren't enough company and I miss Bill so much.




Recently I talked to another woman in my circle of acquaintances that has just been recently widowed. I know I have adjusted better than she has but I know the pain she feels. I know the emptiness of the house and the sleeping alone. I miss the special moments and the hugs. I know the loneliness of life without him.




But I have made a life for myself that I am enjoying because even when we lose someone we love so very much life does go on. I live on our farm again. I got busy with the remodeling project on the house and enjoying the horses I have acquired. I keep in touch with my friends. And that is how a life is made of simple things.




Most day are filled with the simple pleasures. The little things of life.




I went to the barn this afternoon to check on the pregnant mare before dark. Magic Rhythm was in the barn eating hay and had Blazin Star with her. When he saw me he walked up to the gate that separated us and invited me to play with him. I started scratching those itchy spots horses always seem to have. He stayed by the gate begging me to keep scratching him and rubbing his back and shoulders. He was loving it and we are bonding more and more every day. I also had to teach him a couple of little lessons. He wants to get mouthy with me. He wants to reach up and get my sleeves in his mouth and bite down. He also tries to bite my arms. So at that point my elbow jerks over and smacks him on his face or where ever it happens to land.




Biting and kicking are two things that can not be tolerated. He is a baby now but he may already out weigh me and he is definitely stronger than I am. Every time we are with horses we teach them something. His mother teaches him and she is definitely not as easy with him as I am but I did get my point across. He learned that if he reaches up to bite my elbow will hit him somewhere. It was something of a shock to him at first but he soon stopped reaching up to bite.




Tomorrow it may be the same lesson again. I have to be consistent. When he attempts to bite me, my elbow will get all crazy again and hit him where ever it lands. Soon he will remember the lesson. Being there in the barn with the horses was such a pleasant and relaxing experience. Relaxing with the little one and teaching him simple lessons. Listening to the others as they chewed on the hay. Watching the interaction of the horses as they deal with each other. You soon get to know who is boss and who stands back and waits her turn.




Soon my four year old mare came up to the gate begging for attention. Mt Girl was my first horse and she has in the past been aloft towards me but she is more and more my buddy now and she seeks out my company. So I gave her the desired attention and the scratching she was wanting from me.




I once again checked on the mare, Wind Socks to see what she was doing. She was still eating hay and I watched her for as long as I could. When it was too dark to see in the barn, I left and came to the house. The dogs are already asleep and snoring and I am heading that way myself.




Later




God bless you and keep you in his loving care.




No comments:

Post a Comment