Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pig Roast


LS Mountain Windsock and her 2009 foal, WOFs Celine's Risin Star.
Yesterday we had our pig roast. I am pleased to report that the weather was nice and a cool breeze was blowing across the deck on the south side of the house. We had no rain or thunderstorms. God is good.


I can take no credit for the success of the roast. My thanks to Larry Sorrels for providing the roaster and the multiple other things he did to get the pig on the grill to roast. Mike and Natalie helped to place the 140 pig on the grill and helped to keep the grill burning. They gave me a lot of help in keep wood on the fire to smoke the meat. Besides Mike help me find and cut a hickory tree for the smoker.


My daughter Mary and her husband Mike Engle did a lot to get the party ready. They cut the pig off of the bones and got the trays of food ready. Shannon also helped cut the meat off of the bones. Then they helped with the cleanup along with my granddaughter Lucy. Thanks to all who brought food. Mary got my house in apple pie order on Friday and helped to get the tea ready for the next day.


Wilda and H T Derickson along with their son Jamie came from the Van Bert farm to help us enjoy the day. H T and Wilda entertained by relating many of their experiences with trail rides. H T now thinks my daughter Mary Engle will be going on a trail ride. Good luck on that one H T. I want lots of pictures if you get her in a saddle and even more if she actually rides on the trail. I think you don't know her quite as well as I do. Now if you want to talk about a motor cycle ride, she will talk to you. She may not have any more success getting you on a motor cycle than you will getting her on a horse.


Lots of friends I have made over the years and some of my children's friends were here to help us enjoy the day. One special guest was Jim Mumaw who did the outstanding renovations on the house. Everyone admired the work he had done to restore my house. Jim is a skilled craftsman who doesn't accept less than perfection in his work. My house shows it and would make my Dad and Mr Brookshire really proud. The two of them build the house originally and they would be very pleased to see how good it looks today with the changes we have made.


Several of my friends and all my family had seen the house before Jim worked his magic and they have been amazed at the difference in the house. To explain, we had not lived in the house in over 10 years and it had not been maintained by the people living here. So in those years my family had not been in the house. I won't even try to explain the condition of the house. But needless to say it needed a lot of TLC.


After dinner many of my guest went for a tour of the farm. Some in vehicles, some on horses and some on the four wheeler. I went with H T, Wilda and Jamie in their van to see the farm and they were very complimentary of the farm. I personally think it looks unkempt since I still have a lot of mowing to do but they liked it very much and did appreciate the view as much as I do.


So I think a good day was had by all our guests and I know we had more food than all of us together could eat. It was pot luck and I do love pot luck. Everyone brings their favorite dish and there is such a good variety of food. There were some really great cooks here yesterday.


My weanlings are really growing and the horses were very popular with many of the guest. Many walked out to the fields to see them. Sheri Badgett took her grandson out to see the horses. Kailen in almost two and one of the words he can say very plain is "horse".
I think everyone is very tired today but it was certainly an enjoyable day.
God bless all of you and keep you in his loving care.
If you missed the pig roast yesterday, you really don't know what you missed.
Regards.
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment