Saturday, June 27, 2009

We had a Hay Day

We are just getting in from the hay field. It was late this afternoon before the hay was ready to bale so we didn't get started until almost 4:30 PM. Today I had some help all line up to haul in the square bales. Three teenagers showed up. The youngest 15, the oldest 18. So we get the equipment and my daughter-in-law and I drove the trucks. My son and one boy loaded one wagon and two of the other guys loaded the wagon behind my truck.

Two hours and two partial loads on my wagon and one load on Mike's wagon later one of the 18 year old boys announced that he had to quit. He had hay all over him and he had to go home and take a shower. After much discussion all three decided they had to leave. One promised he would be back next week when we were ready to bale hay again.

My son is 46 and he could throw hay further and faster than any one of the three of them. He put them to shame. Or would have if they could have been shamed.

So I drove the trucks and Mike and his wife, Natalie loaded the wagons. Larry is the man who bales my hay and he finished up the section he was working on and he helped load hay too.

So the four of us finished the job three kids a fraction of our age couldn't do.

That is why we are just getting in from the hay field at 10 o'clock P M.

Now I know this is a different generation and perhaps if these boys were really motivated, they would already have summer jobs. We had quiet a discussion after they left. My son Mike said he would not have dared to quit a job and walk off leaving a job undone that he had signed on to do when he was growing up and neither would his brother. It was not part of his thought process to consider quitting when he gave his word he would help but he also mentioned that Dad and Mom would not have liked him coming home and leaving someone in a bind.

I am not because of this going to label the younger generation as lazy and unmotivated but I do know a lot of kids these days that have so much handed to them they really don't see the need to work. My four children are grateful that they were taught to work at an early age. It has gotten them a lot of recognition as people who will do their best. They have kept jobs in a bad economy because their employer know they can be depended on. The two sons that have or had a military career have been promoted because they get the job done.

I want to welcome a new follower to my blog. It is my daughter Debbie. She emailed me and told me she was now following. I had told her I mentioned her in a blog and she had to know just what I had said about her. Welcome Debbie. I know you will let me know how I can improve my posts.

But to look forward to better days, the horse show is this week end. This is the Kentucky State Show at the new Equine Center in Winchester Ky. I have missed several horse shows this summer and I do miss going and watching the horses and try to judge which is best. I am always amazed that the horses are so well mannered and there is a lot of friendship and good will among the competitors.

I am also looking forward to seeing friends I have made through my involvement with Mountain Horses and the shows.

I do have several showing this year. Velvet is a two year old and is in Country Trail Pleasure classes. Amigo is 5 and in Trail Pleasure. Then there is 4 year old Rocky Top Rebel in Country Trail Pleasure classes. Rockin Andi is 2 years old and in Trail Pleasure. I also have two yearlings. One is a Sudden Impact Colt named WOF Mountain Spirit and the other is a Venture's Black Fury filly named Flair for Fury. I am looking forward to seeing how they stack up against others at the show.

There will be some tough classes and some good competition. There are a lot of nice Mountain Horses. The breed keeps getting better and more popular all the time.

So I hope to see you there.

May the Lord bless and keep you in his loving care

Regards

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment