Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Two Jars of Rice


My brother Bob riding Rosie. A sunny day in the middle of December found Bob and Rosie out with Annie and Amego for a long trail ride on the farm. This is the end of the ride and they just had to stop by the house for a hello and pictures. And the jokingly ask for some curb service.
Bob likes Rosie very much. She is a chestnut mountain horse. Like there is any other kind on my radar. Bob has been trying to make friends with her but is having some problems. She is one of the shyer horses in the pasture. She wants to come to him and she wants to be near him but some of the other horses don't want her to go to him. She is very low on the pecking order in the pasture.
He talked to me about how hard it is to catch her sometimes because of the interference of the other horses. He wants to make friends with Rosie. She is his favorite in the field.
But halt there partner. The title of my piece tonight is Two Jars of Rice. Confused yet? Well you see there was a scientist who did an experiment with two jars of rice. This scientist cooked rice all in the same pan. He put half in one jar and the rest in another jar. The only difference in how the rice was handled was that on one jar he wrote something like "You are good rice. I love you" The other jar had a note saying something like "You are bad rice. I hate you"
Now this is cooked rice and when they were left sitting on the counter they were going to spoil at the same rate. Right? Wrong! The jar that said you are good rice stayed good and the jar with you are bad rice spoiled. Wait a minute!!! Do you believe that?
Well, I am not sure but walking down through the field one day to catch Rosie I got to thinking about the rice. I started singing "Rosie, girl. I love my Rosie girl. You make me happy." I could see her perking up her ears and listening to me. I kept walking across the field. I kept singing, "I love my Rosie girl. You make me happy."
Rosie kept watching. I walked and talked and sang to her. Along came Amego. And Shugee. They are two of the horses that want whatever you have or at least want to see what you might have. I just had a lead rope. I swatted Amego and told Shugee to get on with them. Rosie, expecting a run in this the two boss horses went behind the hay stack.
I walked and talked and sang to Rosie. Soon, I was approaching her with the lead rope. She has in the past just walked away and played hard to get. And sometimes she just can't be caught because of the interference of other horses and the fact she doesn't want to be caught even if it were just two horses and the other one was leaving her alone.
Pretty soon I was scratching her shoulder and talking to her. "I love my Rosie girl" Then I reached up and took her halter in my hand, fastened the lead rope on her and we walked to the barn without any trouble at all.
It is well known that people respond to genuine praise and outpouring of love. Rice, I don't know but thinking about the rice made me think about talking to Rosie and telling her how pretty she is and how much I love her and how good she is. She is responding. In a very positive way. Bob uses the same with her. He gives her a little feed in his hand and she comes to him. He is riding her and they are getting to know and trust each other.
Riding is a matter of trust and respect between the horse and rider. I respect the horse under me but so far, I have had a hard time with trust. I am working through it. It will be one of those things that one day I will say. Well darn, why was this so hard for me. I dream of that day. Then I know for sure I will be free to ride like the wind and to be where Vera described in her recent blog.
As a side note. Mt Girl, (yes she is the most beautiful horse in the whole world.), Magic Rhythm and Hobo will be foaling in about two months. Just two months. Mary Beth and I can hardly wait. I hope Debbie and Lucy can be here for at least one of the births.
May God bless you and keep you in his loving care.
Regards,
Mary
And he arose and rebuked the wind and said unto the sea; Peace. Be still and the wind ceased and there was great calm. And he said unto them, Why are you so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
Mark 4: 39-40
You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him to a heavy load.
Pual "Bear" Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment