Friday, July 23, 2010

Bring the Dessert

I have written this one before but I keep getting so many requests for my banana pudding recipe that I am going to post it again.

Last year we had a pig roast at my house and it was really an event. Wow the pig was sooo good and every one brought their favorite dish. My table on in the sun room adjoining the deck was filled and over flowing with good food. We also had a desert table.

When we started planning the pig roast, my family started telling me I needed to make the banana pudding that they all love so much. Several weeks before the roast my son had friends over and we got to talking about the pig roast and desert. Brian, the friend, said he made the best banana pudding that was ever put in anyone's mouth. My family said "Not so, mom makes the best banana pudding ever eaten". So it was decided there would be a pudding "taste off". We couldn't have a bake off because I don't cook anything that goes into mine.

Later we invited my sister, Eleanor, to bring her banana pudding that she is sure is the best in the world. After all it is Mama's recipe. I hated to compete against Mom's recipe but mine is so easy and really good.

Here's what happened the day of the pig roast. First Brian called and said he would not be coming with his banana pudding because he sprained his ankle. Next Eleanor called and said she was coming but couldn't bring the banana pudding because she couldn't find Mom's double boiler. I suggested she could have done it was regular pans which I have always used when I needed a double boiler. But she insisted she had to have the double boiler. Hmmmm!!!!!!

I really didn't want to win by default. I know mine is the best. My son in law will no longer eat banana pudding at a restaurant because I have ruined it for him. Any you can ask anyone who has tasted it. So here is the pudding recipe that everyone loves so much.

This recipe was on the Eagle's Brand milk can years ago so it is not original with me.

1 can of Eagle Brand milk
1 1/2 cup of water
1 box of jello vanilla instant pudding mix

Combine these ingredients with a mixer until they are well mixed and set the bowl in the refrigerator for several minutes until chilled. About 5 minutes

Whip 2 cups of heavy whipping cream until peaks form.

Fold the cream into the pudding mixture until well blended

In a large bowl place a layer vanilla wafers and bananas and then cover with a layer of pudding mix. Keep layering until all the mix is used. It will make about 3 nice layers. You will want to end with the pudding on top. Sprinkle a little Cinnamon on top to add a little color and a nice favor. Serve and get ready for the compliments. If you like to be a little dramatic you can act as if it took you hours to make and you really went to all that trouble even after a really hard day at work.

I hope you enjoy it. It really is very easy and takes so little time.

May God bless and keep you in his loving care.

Regards

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment