Monday, September 20, 2010

I Got Fired

I always thought there were some jobs I couldn't be fired from but I finally found one. It was from my own farm too.



OK picture this. Where have I heard that before. Oh yes, Golden Girls. I won't be nearly as funny as Estelle Getty but here's my story and I'm sticking to it. I've heard that before too. Humm.



We were at the World Show in Winchester Ky. I don't have stable hands like the regular stables. It is just my brother Bob and me. I haven't been riding in any of the shows this summer. Broken arm and all. But Bob has ridden in almost every show this year. He has shown Venture's Golden Satin. Oh yes that is another story. She was called SATAN in a couple of shows. I straightened them out on that one and they went back to calling her Satin. Last show they called her Venture's Golden STAIN. Hello out there, it is a very simple word. Satin. You know like they beautiful material wedding gowns are made of.



But I digress. I was talking about the job I got fired from. Well every one who rides in a show needs some help. Hold the saddle while the horse goes through DQP. Hold the horse. Adjust jacket for the rider. Brush off the coat, pants and boots for the premadonna on board the horse. They really do get big headed when on the horse. Especially the Amatuer riders.



Sable boy, in my case, girl has to know what the rider needs even before he or she thinks about needing it. Fly spray for the horse. Rag for wiping the shoes off. Leather punch in case it is needed. Bottle of water in case it is hot and it is needed. Extra shirt in case the premadonna gets a little stain from horse slobbers. The list goes on and on.



And let us never forget the all important cell phone.



The last of the show, I was doing my stable girl duties. I didn't think of the leather punch. I got the wrong shirt from the trailer, I didn't have a rag and had to borrow one from my friend Michael the ultimate stable boy. When our premadonna got to the show ring I was in big trouble. I had left my phone in the truck and he could not reach me.



Later I was crying the blues to my friend Michael and begging for lessons on being a good stable girl. I like to do everything the best I can. He was almost ready to give me classes until I mentioned I forgot my cell phone and left it in the truck. Now he won't even give me lessons. Later Bob came to the spectator area and told me I was a failure as a stable girl and I was fired.



I have fired him a couple of times but he has never fired me. And from all things, stable hand. I guess it is just not as easy as Michael makes it look. I bet he wasn't so good when he started out though.



Just recently I bought a beautiful Chocolate Palomino. She is a two year old and really something special. She is very naturally gaited and is going to be a really big mare. We have not shown her before the world show. Larry was talking about showing her in conformation and I agreed. I asked Bob if he would mind showing her. He said he would but I know he really doesn't like to show conformation.



I got a better idea that would work for him too. I asked Vanessa Crowe to show Dixie Belle for me. She readily agreed and was delighted I had asked her. Bob walked into the office just after I had asked her and before I could tell him that Vanessa would show Dixie Belle, Larry Patterson informed him that he had just been fired. They made such a big deal over him being fired. You just can't imagine two grown men crying and carrying on like they did.



So I guess world show was get even time for me when he fired me from my job as stable girl. It really didn't pay very well anyway. Michael gets a raise from time to time. Judy has double his pay a couple of times and he still make 0, zip, nadda. I guess he doesn't have to worry much about the tax on that pay check.

No comments:

Post a Comment