Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Mattress Was In the Middle of a Busy Highway





The first picture in this series is of WOF Mike's Rhythm and Blue. He is out of a Storm Warning mare and by Blue on Black. His sire was the UMH high money winner for the 2010 show season. Blue on Black was sired by Blue Man McGuire.
The second picture is of WOF's Rockin Andi. Andi was second place high point winner in the 2010 Country Trail Pleasure Classes
The third picture is a really nice colt out of WOF's Once a Hobo and sired by Sudden Impact. His name if WOF Saga of Snowy River. The two colts are yearling colts and along with a Venture's Black Fury colt are spending the winter at Whispering Oaks Farm where they were foaled last spring. All are for sale. Saga won blue the first time he participated in a Weanling Conformation class.
I just can't seem to help bragging on my horses but then there is a lot for which to be proud. God made them so special. They along with everything you and I have really belongs to God and He has blessed us by giving it to our care for our use.
I have been truly blessed by owning some of the most beautiful well bred Rocky Mountain Horses in the world. I was blessed to have received two High Point awards for CGH Flair for Fury and WOF Ann's Mt Treasure. Rockin Andi shown in the picture above was 2nd to Flair for the High Point award as presented at the UMH Awards Banquet last week end. Congratulations to the planners. Judy and the UMH board and all who was involved in the planning did a wonderful job getting it together. The dinner was really delicious and all aspects of the evening was really special.
My congratulations to all the High Point Award winners. There is too many to name and I would surely leave someone out. They are all important awards to competitors. I personally treasure every ribbon and recognition my horses receive but I am also glad to be able to congratulate all the other owners of the fine horses in our breed.
Having said all that now to get to the title of my blog tonight. I went shopping for mattresses for my two beds. I went to every place around Louisville looking for the mattress that would suit me at the price I was willing to pay. I looked for a long time. I did finally find the mattresses I wanted in Louisville. I didn't want to pay for delivery. After all I did have a pickup truck on which I could haul a set of bedding. So I bought the two sets.
They did not have the mattress sets in their store but I was told they would be in by the end of the week. I made arrangements to pick up one set on Sunday after Church and the second set on Monday after work. I was excited on Sunday when I got there. I was already feeling myself sleeping on the set I had bought for my bed.
I knew the sales clerk was somewhat dingy but I really didn't know just how dingy she was until I went to pick up the mattress sets. I had already told her that I would get one set that day and the other set the next day. I knew I could get one set secured where I wouldn't have any trouble getting it home.
But no.......... SHE INSISTED that I could haul both sets home on one trip. So despite my objections and serious doubts she and another clerk set about loading the two mattress and box spring sets. It didn't look very secure but while she sat on a chair behind the store and talked and smoked the other clerk was tying the bedding onto the truck. The clerk kept telling me all about her experience tying knots and how she knew just how to do it while her partner was busy tying . Of course she on the other hand was still talking and smoking.
I still had doubts about my load when I finally pulled out of the store lot amidst assurances that my load was as secure as a baby in it's mama's arms. I turned on to Hurstbourne Lane which is one of the busiest 4 lane highways in the city. I had no sooner gotten out into traffic before the top box springs blew off into the middle of the road. In other words, Momma dropped the baby.
I got out of my truck and by that time the man in the vehicle behind me was already out to give me a helping hand. We got the springs back on and he tied it more securely and after thanking him I got back into my truck and headed on toward home praying all would be well now.
I had no sooner turned onto Taylorsville Road (also a very busy road) until the box springs was once again in the road. I once again got out of the truck and was glad to see a Jeffersontown Policeman was already stopped behind me. He surely would be helpful. But no. Because of liability he could not help me load the mattress. He couldn't even help me pull it out of the road. So here I am yanking and pulling on the box springs trying to drag it out of the highway as one of our finest stood there watching me.
He was trying to be helpful and insisted he must call this mattress store and let them deliver the bedding for me. I could not persuade him to not call so while he was calling them I put in a call to my son-in-law Mike. Mike came to my rescue about the time the dingy woman from the mattress store got there.
She was less help that time that she had been at the store. She once again pulled out her cigarettes and lite one up as Mike and I pulled the springs back on the truck. Mike set about tying them on while she was telling him how unreasonable I had been in wanting to haul both sets home on one load. She explained to him that she had tried unsuccessfully to talk me out of hauling them both home at the same time.
Mike got my load tied down in a way that I was sure was going to stay and she insisted she would follow me home to make sure I got there alright. Mike told her very firmly that he would be following me home and her assistance was not needed. And Mike followed me several miles to make sure I would be alright. We stopped on the side of the road so I could hug him and thank him from the bottom of my heart before he departed to return to work.
That is why for a long time my daughter answered the phone "Thank you for calling the damsel in distress hot line. What is your emergency today." I often call Mike on other matters but start the conversation with "Mike, I am on I-64 and my mattress is laying on the road in the middle lane. How long will it take you to get here."
Our distresses is not usually about a mattress in the middle of a busy interstate highway. They can be a lot more serious than that and can't be fixed by a son-in-law that is so good and kind and loving that he will leave work to help. We can always ask for help from the God who created the whole universe. He knows the next sentence I am going to write before I know it myself. He knows how you will receive this blog. He already knows if you will laugh at my story as I have often laughed about it.
It is a great comfort to me to know that God knows all about me. The psalmist said it best. "What is man that God should be mindful of him" God created the moon and the stars. He knows how many grains of sand is on all the beaches of the world. He knows every cell in your body and every hair on your head. The Bible tells us that God has the hair on each head numbered. Isn't it amazing? He knows all the stars in the sky. He has them numbered too. We can't even count what we can see.
My God is an awesome God. I pray each of you know God and have accepted Jesus as your Savior. You can be no more secure that placing your faith in Him and Him alone. And when something worse happens to you than a mattress in the road, He will be there to comfort you and lead and guide you to safety.
May God bless and keep you in His loving care.
Regards
Mary

1 comment:

  1. Mary, are truly a gifted writer. I laughed out loud at this. And, your underlying message is so true.

    ReplyDelete