Sunday, January 16, 2011

OH! I Think I Broke My.....................






WOF Saga of Snowy River was a blue ribbon winner the first time he was in the show ring. He is now a yearling and still looking good. We can't set him up like S T did but he is looking pretty good anyway.
















The first picture is a Venture's Black Fury baby born on our farm last year. His name is Duh Polish Fury in honor of our family name. (Lipginski) We are poking fun at ourselves.



I often write about things that pokes fun at myself. Someone once told me that their life wasn't as much fun or as interesting as mine. If you don't believe that your life is interesting and fun, open your eyes. Funny things happen every day all around you. All you have to do is look around and quit taking yourself so seriously.



Someone once said, "Life is too important to be taken seriously." I believe that Oscar Wilde was the one who said that. We can get so caught up in our self importance and worry so much about what everyone else thinks of us we can't see the humours side of life. It is liberating to let go and laugh at one's self.



This winter has been a bear with the snow and ice we have had. I am almost 69 years old and after breaking my arm this past year, I have tried to be careful not to repeat the experience. So I have stepped very carefully. I had been very successful until one Sunday just before Christmas. One of my weanlings had a bad cough and a very runny nose. There was really nasty stuff coming from his nose and I knew he needed the vet.



The vet came out and checked Little Fury and found he had pneumonia. He gave him some shots with the instructions that I was to continue to give him shots for the next week. He then ask if I still had penicillin. I started into the barn to look in the refrigerator and didn't watch my step and down I went. It hurt a little but I wasn't willing to admit that anything was injured except my ego.



I instantly thought back to a winter when Bill and I first got married. My brother Bob was about 12 years old. The ice froze thick on the lake on the farm that year. It finally got thick enough to trust it to ice skate on. We were skating around on the lake and having a barrel of fun. We weren't good skaters but we were having fun anyway. My sister and brother-in-law were there with their children and we were all laughing at ourselves and each other and having a great time in general.



Bob lost his balance and fell on the ice. He got up and said "Oh, I think I broke my........yo yo." He reached back in his pocket and pulled his yo yo out and tested it out. He threw it down and pulled it up several times and finally concluded his yo yo had survived the fall.



So now when some one falls we ask, "Did you break your yo yo." Or announce "Oh I think I broke my yo yo." Or "Oh, I hope I didn't break my yo yo." We have had a lot of fun with Bob over his yo yo as you might surmise.



We all had a lot of fun together as we joined each other for family Christmases, Thanksgivings and Sunday dinner. Then one day things changed and it all got very serious.



Our mother got sick. She had been teaching school several years by then. She was a kind wonderful woman whose children loved her dearly. The ones in the class room and at home. The doctor discovered a grapefruit size growth on one of her ovaries. The surgery went well and she recovered pretty quickly. She was still only 60 years old. Her recovery seemed to be on track when my Uncle died suddenly. He and my dad had been life long partners in their farming operation. My uncle had never married. I grew up with him being very close and a very near and dear presence in our lives.. We had barely gotten over the shock of his passing when it was apparent that our Mom wasn't doing very well.



What we feared was that this would be the last Christmas we would have with her and it was.



She was in the hospital again and the doctors told us the bad news. Her cancer had returned and had spread over her body very quickly. We knew it was just a matter of time when we would lose her too. That happened less than eight months after we buried my uncle. So we were once again grieving someone near and dear to us. It seemed our family never really recovered from our loss. She was the pin that kept the family together.



My daddy was a wonderful man but it was our mother who kept things working smoothly. It was our mother that kept the pot from boiling over. My family is made up of strong personalities. I bet your is too.



We all have different personalities. Sometimes things can get tense in a family with many members and so many personalities.


So what can we do? Well I tell you what we do. We can forgive each other whether it is a family member or a friend or an aquaintence that has wronged us. Some people seem to feel a need to go out of the way to make life unpleasant for others. I can't imagine what in their lives have made them so miserable as to want to hurt others.



So we forgive. And Jesus said we should forgive seventy times seven if necessary. I cringe when I hear some one say they will never forgive someone for what they did. Or that they hate someone.



Forgiveness is such an important part of the Christian life. It is a serious matter to me that Jesus said we should forgive each other even as He has forgiven us. I did more to cause him to suffer on the cross that anyone has caused me to suffer. How can I then go to Jesus and ask him to forgive me when I won't forgive others whom I think have wronged me?



You know God has forgiven you too. Today I ask you, is there someone you also need to forgive? A grudge is a terribly heavy burden to carry.



May God bless and keep you in his tender loving care.



Regards





Mary
































No comments:

Post a Comment