Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Riding Family


Stephen is 5 years old and gets a turn on Romeo who is Natalie's horse. He is a very calm horse with Mountain Horse breeding but no papers so the breeding is unknown. Stephen did not want to get down for his sister's turn.

Steve and Chrissy were home recently for a visit. Steve at that time wired my barn. It wasn't all work. The second night they were home we had a pool party at my oldest daughter's house. It was the coldest July on record in Kentucky and they were from Mississippi. The kids enjoyed the pool with their cousin, Melissa. They sort of all turned blue when they got out of the pool. Steve and Chrissy didn't venture into the chilly water and neither did I.

The children wanted to ride while they were here. So Natalie got Romeo and I got Rocky Top Rebel. None of them are very certain on horses so we just mostly led them around but they loved it and hated to get off. Natalie is riding some now after never touching a horse in her life until two years ago. She was able to purchase a horse and saddle for $300 and now she likes to ride. She is still uncertain on the horse but she is trying. He is a good horse for her. Very gentle and very calm. Does not spook over anything. He was a bargain.

My sister Eleanor loves riding best of all. She has ridden a couple of times at Van Bert's Farm and she is very confident of her skills. Mike has also been on the horse a couple of times to ride Romeo to make sure he was ok for Natalie to ride before she got on. Natalie's son is here from Germany and he rode some too. But it wasn't long before he wanted off. He likes to ride the four wheeler best.

What is it about a horse that makes us want to be around them so much? Even if we are initially fearful, it is soon natural to walk up to them and scratch them and pet them. We want to be close to them. My horses seem to enjoy the company of humans too. Except tonight. The only ones wanting my company was the two weanlings and Rocky Top. They are big animals and out weight us by hundreds of pounds. What is it that draws us to them? What is it that draws them to us? It is a mystery that is too deep for me to explain. I just know from earliest childhood we have a fascination for horses that doesn't go away for many people.

I could be very jealouse of the kids that ride. I see Kailey Tipton riding almost any horse that she is offered. She rode my first horse, Mt Girl (a two year old) on trail rides before I bought her. So I figured I could do it too and I fell off of her three times. I wish I could ride as good as Kailey. I wish I could ride as good as any of those young riders out there in the show arena. That will soon include my great granddaughter Melissa. They do all ride more than I do and I know I need more time in the saddle.

I really don't have a seasoned rider here to ride with me and I am not confident to ride alone or with someone who has even less skills than I do on horseback. Was that an excuse?

Tonight I have found some jealousy in Blaze. He is the oldest weanling and has always liked me to make over him. Celine has started letting me get close to her. Blaze loves to come to me where ever I am. He had walked up to me tonight in the field and let me scratch and pet him. Celine walked up to me as well. She put her nose up close to my nose and we were exchanging breath when I suddenly felt Blaze bite my back. I jumped and elbowed his nose but it scared Celine and she ran off to her mother. I think he was wanting my attention and I wasn't giving it to him. Not at all funny Blaze!

I am planning a trip to Van Berts and Cool Shade tomorrow. So I will have more to write about then.

Later everyone

God bless and keep you in his loving care.

Mary

Thought for the day:

"Far back, far back in our dark soul the horse prances....The horse, the horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action...."

D H Lawrence, from "Horse Quotations"

His love has taken over our lives. God's faithful ways are eternal

Psalm 117: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment