Monday, January 19, 2009

January---The month I could skip.

I think it is a general feeling that most people just don't like winter. When I worked at the post office occassionaly I would have some one tell me that it couldn't get too cold for them and that winter was their favorite time of the year. I always wondered what else they lied about. I guess it is possible to like winter but I wondered why they didn't just move further north if they liked winter so much and it didn't get too cold. Alaska might be a good choice.

I think most of them don't live on farms and have animals to care for. If they had to break ice several times a day and go out in the cold wind to feed hay and make sure all the horses or cows were there perhaps they wouldn't have such a romantic view of winter. The yearlings have to have their grain to keep them growing and of course a good supply of hay so they generate enough heat to keep warm.

But I am grateful for winter is some respects. It does the ground good to freeze and thaw. The snow covers the ground and makes a nice blanket for the grass underneath. The cold weather cuts down on the bug population. But my view of winter is that we should have some cold weather and two or three days should be enough.

Enough rambling. I will close out now and quit rambleing about winter. I think winter in the southern hemisphere would be very appealing but I sure would miss my home and horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment