Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Pony for the Grandchildren

Well it has certainly been busy this past several days. Saturday night was the annual Awards Banquet for the United Mountain Horse Association. Congratulations to all the winners of those awards. I attended almost every UMH horse show this year and I know how much hard work the competitors do to get their horses ready to show and durings the shows too.

So that kept us busy over the weekend. I want to congratulate my Great granddaughter Melissa Cooper for her trophy. I was so proud of her. Next year she will riding alone and be a really big girl. Five year olds go on lead line. Six year olds ride in the arena alone with them and the horse working as a team.

We had just returned home from Lexington when we turned around, hooked up the horse trailer, loaded a pony named Lilly and headed to Lumberton Mississippi. I have three grandchildren living there so you know why I was heading to Ms with a bay pony named Lilly. The children knew that Grandma was coming with a surprise but they did not know what the surprise was going to be.

It is a 10 hour trip and the 10 year old pony travelled like she did it on a regular basis. I know I was ready to be out of the truck and stretch my legs when we arrived at their small farm so I was sure my two passengers were as well. My oldest daughter rode along with me to "keep Mom out of trouble" and she was really glad to be at our distination too. I know Lilly, our other passenger was also glad to be off the trailer and on solid ground with water and hay in front of her but first it was time to surprise the two little ones. Kailey 5 and Stephen 4 had been sent on an errand with their Mom until we pulled in, unloaded, the pony and got her safely tucked away for the big moment.

I was standing in the shadows with Lilly when the car turned into the drive and headed toward the house. I knew the big moment was at hand. The children got out of the car overjoyed to see Aunt Mary Beth. Then they started looking for Grandma with the surprise. It was my cue to walk out of the shadows into the light with the surprise.

My two little grandchildren stood there with eyes that were getting bigger all the time. Kailey was the first to express her feeling. In her most excited little girl voice she exclaimed, " I didn't know our surpirse was an animal."

Amidst hugs and loves and laughter they petted their new pony and was soon sitting on her back with no saddle or bridle just holding onto her mane and riding Lilly around in the back yard led by the hero of the day. Grandma.

Now if you have never presented a child with a horse or pony, you have missed one of the most awesome experiences of a lifetime. And it was all of that and more for me.

Remember I said there were three grandchildren in Mississippi. The third is a teenager, Dalton. I could tell by his face that he was also excited by the pony but being the big brother he let the little ones ride and have their fun. He is the big brother. He is early teens and he is too big to get all exctied over a pony but he was pleased. And the next day he also rode and was happy to have a horse they could all ride. But he is about to outgrow Lilly so I think there will soon have to be a friend for Lilly that is more geared to a boy that is about the make a big growth spurt.

So it is Wednesday night. I am just getting home from Ms and getting things done here and getting ready for the big chill that is hitting tonight. It was a long trip and lasted for only three days but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. My son offered to make the trip to get the pony but I couldn't miss that moment.

Tune in for the next installment. Tomorrow I will describe, the second ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment