Monday, April 20, 2009

Getting Ready for Winchester


I was remiss in wishing my granddaughter, Andrea Engle a happy birthday by blog on April 17. Ok Andi, I won't mention you were 24 that day. We went to Texas Roadhouse to have supper with Andi on the occasion of her birthday. The food is always good there. And I especially enjoyed being with Andi and the crowd to celebrate her special occasion.


I have noticed I have a new follower that has signed onto my blog. I don't think I know Dolly but I sure thank you for joining. I hope you are enjoying my blog. Dolly and everyone else can also go to my web site at http://www.whisperingoaksfarm-mary.com/ to see more pictures of my horses and to learn about our farm. My family and I are proud of our farm. It has been in the family over 107 years now. It is certainly not the oldest continually owned farm but there are fewer all the time that can boast that it has been in the same family for that long. I hope my family will own and enjoy this farm for many more years to come.


Bill and I bought the farm from my father and the estate of my uncle in 1971. We raised our children here and farmed here until Bill retired in 1996. Since then few crops have been raised here. The internal fences have been taken down. No domesticated animals have grazed the land and no one has really taken care of the farm. Bill mowed it every summer as long as he was able. But as he became more incapacitated by his lung disease, he was less and less able to mow the fields. In the meantime we had moved to a house near Taylorsville.


So the fields grew up in weeds and seedling trees began to spring up all over the farm. We had allowed someone to rent our farm house. After Bill died, I ask them to move, remodeled the house and moved back to the farm. We have had a monumental task of cleaning up all the trash left by the "renters". There was also a trailer on the farm and between the two the trash was allowed to accumulate around the barns, in the barns, in and around the house and shop area. For those of you who have ever had that experience, you know how maddening it is to constantly be picking up after people who are already long gone. My children have been wonderful to help with all the work around here. It is obvious they love the farm too with the hard work they have invested in it.


But enough of that.


We are looking forward to the upcoming show this week-end at the new equine facility in Winchester. I know that most of you who read my blog have been to the facility at one time or the other. It was wonderful having the World Show there last year. It is a first class facility. And it is improving all the time. I have seen plans for the expansions and it is awesome.


It is a place that Rocky Mountain lovers and horse lovers will enjoy showing for a long time in the future. The barns are first class and the surface on the outdoor arena got better everyday of the World Show as it was watered and groomed frequently during the week of the show. Congratulations to all who have worked so hard, donated time and money to make this a facility something of which we can be proud.


I rode in one class during the Ky State Show last year. It was the first show there. The view of the mountains is spectacular. It is easy to forget the competition if one is not careful and just enjoy the ride and look at the mountains in the distance. Of course part of showing is enjoying the ride. But I don't think it is a good thing to get totally distracted by the awesome view.


This show our farm will be represented by 5 horses. Our farm is sending two horses trained by Chris and Stacie Tipton of Cool Shade Mountain Horses. They are WOFs Dock's Velvet and Chocolate Amigo. Amigo is a chocolate gelding. He will be showing in trail pleasure classes. This will be his second time in the show arena. He was shown once last year at the Kentucky Horse Park.


Representing our farm from the Van Bert Farm and their trainers will be Rocky Top Rebel shown and trained by Jamie Derickson and Rockin Andi shown and trained by S T Tipton. I am excited about both of them.


Also making her first appearance under our farm name is a yearling filly that will be showing in conformation, Flair for Fury. She is a Venture's Black Fury filly. The Fury babies all do their Daddy proud in the show ring. I am hoping Flair for Fury will be no exception.


I will looking forward to seeing everyone at the Spring Premier in Winchester this coming week end. I am always happy to see new (old friends) that I have met since joining the Rocky Mountain Horse crowd. I wish all the exhibitors the best of luck and pray for the safety of horses and especially riders as well as all who participate.


Later everyone.


God bless and keep you in his loving care.




No comments:

Post a Comment