Friday, April 17, 2009

A Visit to Van Berts Farm



First I want to offer my condolenses to H T and his family over the loss of his sister. I know they were very close and by all accounts she was a wonderful woman. So the lose is not only personal to the Dericksons but to her Church and community as well. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all at this time.


It had been 10 days since I had seen our new foal so Eleanor, my sister, and I loaded into the truck and headed for Stanton yesterday. I was eager to see if Blazin Star still remembered me. He did. We headed out to the field behind Larry and Vera's house to see Magic Rhythm and Blazin Star so we could see for ourselves just how much he had grown. We were not disappointed.


Magic Rhythm and Blazin Star were on the far side of the pasture when we drove up. Larry rattled the feed bucket and I gave a whistle and they came running up to find the feed. She was disappointed and walked away to go back to eating. I walked near to where they were but of course the colt walked closer toward his mother. At that point I used one of the oldest tricks in the book. I acted totally uninterested. I even turned away from him.


Before long I felt him nursling up to my back to check me out. I slowly turned toward him and started scratching all those spots that horses love to be scratched. I scratched his shoulders and then along down his back and finally around his tail. He was loving it. He stood there a long time letting me rub and scratch him all over and pick up his feet. Larry was quietly giving me instructions when he thought I needed them. After several minutes I turned and walked away. He turned and walked back to his mother. Our session was finished. I wanted to stop before he became tired and bored. It was awsome.


There is always a lot to catch my attention when we are at Van Berts. When we walked into the barn we were greeted with riders on three horses. On two of the horses were Chris and Stacie Tipton. Stacie was on Velvet and Chris was on Chocolate Amigo. He also belongs to me and he is in training for Melissa to ride as soon as they are both ready. Also in the alley way of the barn was Rocky Top Rebel with Jamie aboard. We were soon joined by Rockin Andi. So we had quiet a show with the four horses gaiting around in the barn. I was invited to the outdoor arena to see the four horses train but before I got there, Larry had brought Spirit out for me to work.
We walked out of the barn where there were plenty of distractions for Spirit. There will be no less in the show ring. He will be exposed to other horses, crowds and other noises when he steps off of the horse van to attend his first show. So Larry had me walking him around and keeping his attention focused on me. Then he brought a yearling filly out to simulate him being shown with other yearlings. Next we practiced lining up and parking out for the judges to get their look at each horse. I am not good at this but Larry has patience and the heart of a teacher so I kept practicing and he kept patiencely instructing me on how to achieve the perfect park. And very importantly when to stop working with him.
Then we walked our yearling to the arena. I was practicing staying in line this time. Then more practice for the parking out. That is not easy for me. But it takes practice. Larry and the rest of the trainers at Van Berts have been doing it for years. Even Spirit has more practice than I have and he is getting rather good at it. He is ready for showing training wise but he needs to fill out more before he goes into the show ring.
I am in a constant state of learning. I didn't realize that my yearlings were somewhat under weight coming out of the winter. So I have been throwing the feed to them now. Spirit is getting extra feed at Van Berts. They are all looking better but not show ready. So much to learn about the fine art of horsemanship. I will not take a horse into the show arena that doesn't look its best. We are not there yet with Spirit but we will know when it is time.
Next Eleanor and I went to Cool Shade to visit Chris and Stacie's stable. There we ran into Judy Brummer. Judy, Chris and Stacie are getting ready for the three phase event to be held in Winchester tomorrow and Sunday. I will not be attending that one but will see them all next week end for the Spring Premier that will also be held at the Equine Facility in Winchester.
We checked out Mountain Girl to see how she was doing. I whistled and she and Velvet came running up to the fence for their just due. A good thorough rubbing and scratching around those itchy spots. We gladly gave them the attention they were craving. Each was trying to get the most attention. They are fun to be around.
As usual it was another great day at Van Berts. It is always an instructive day. I am glad to be able to be a part of all of this.
Hope you all have a great week end.
God bless each of you and keep you in his loving care.


No comments:

Post a Comment