Monday, April 27, 2009

Winchester

Upon arrival at the show grounds, Eleanor (my sister) and I went to the barns to see the horses. Eleanor has her favorites. Rocky Top Rebel, my black 4 year old mare is one of them. She is sure that Rebel knows and remembers her from the first time we saw her in a large pasture with a large herd of horses. And maybe she does.

Another of her favorites is Toco Dawn. She is a beautiful mare with a way of placing in the ribbons in classes she enters. Eleanor is drawn to Toco Dawn because she is especially friendly and loves for her to scratch her in all of her itchy places. She comes up to the door and Eleanor scratches one side and then she turns to the other side to be scratched on that side too. Eleanor admires her too because she has such a nice disposition.

Of course the first horse I looked for was my bay filly, Dock's Velvet. She was looking very beautiful with the shine her coat had taken on since I took her to Cool Shade in Stanton. She was ready to go. She had the look of a winner in her eyes and since I raised her from a weanling, she is a winner in my eyes.

The show grounds were already busy with riders exercising their horses and grooms giving baths. Trucks and trailers were still coming in with loads of horses. The barn were beginning to get filled with horses. There is a friendly atmosphere at the shows even though when the classes start every one is giving it all they have to win the class. No one gets a charity win from the other riders.

Soon the show began. If you have never attended a Rocky Mountain Horse show, you may not know this but the flag is presented on horse back by a rider especially selected for this honor. This year a young lady presented the flag from horse back that had been severely injured in a car accident 4 years ago. She was led in on the horse and someone on foot carried the flag. This may not sound like a big deal but it was because, the doctors told her she would never ride again. The miracle of medicine in our time is awesome but it often does not account for God's hand in healing. So while the doctors may say "It is not possible" with God nothing is impossible.

So congratulations to this lady for her faith in the way God can work in our lives and her stubborn determination that gave her the courage it took to come back from a tragic accident. I know she is not where she wants to be yet and I am eagerly anticipating the day she rides in with the horse under her full control.

I am always thankful that prayer is said before the horse shows. I appreciate the prayers for our military. I am a military mom and I can tell you that our military needs to stay in our prayers. I am pleased that God is asked to bless our efforts and to keep horses and riders safe. And that thanks is always given to him for these remarkable horses that we are privileged to have in our care. All shows where Rocky Mountain Horses are shown start this same way.

The first day, I had two horses that showed. One in Country Trail Pleasure, Dock's Velvet and one in Trail Pleasure, Rockin Andi. Both did me proud even though we did not take home the blue. Velvet placed third and Andi placed fourth in a large class of 13 horses. And it was her first time in the arena to show. She is an awesome filly and I liked her the first time I laid eyes on her. She was one of those horses that I just knew I would love. Unfortunately, there are too many that I fall in love with. But I made no mistake in buying this mare.

The second day, my yearling filly, Flair for Fury (a Venture's Black Fury filly) placed first above another very nice filly. She was well behaved and S T Tipton did a great job of showing her. I was very pleased to take home the blue from that class. Rocky Top Rebel showed in a very large class and gave a remarkable performance although she did not place in the ribbons. Still I was happy with the way she showed and I thank Jamie Derickson for the wonderful job he has done in training and showing her.

As the day progressed I saw Cool Shade Mountain Horses come out of the arena with several blues. One outstanding stallion they were showing kept that kept winning is Heart of Motion. He is owned by Dick and Margaret Baker. They were especially pleased with his showing. He is a fine young stallion that is coming into his own. They also own Toco Dawn that is a well trained and well performing mare. She gets noticed in almost every class in which she is entered. Eleanor and I noticed her at a show in the Kentucky Horse Park and she soon became a favorite of ours.

Again Van Bert Farms took home a load of ribbons and trophies for their farm and their clients. I as one of their clients appreciate the way my horses always look whether they are working on the farm in training or showing in the arena. Everyone at the Van Bert Farm works very hard to keep the horses in top notch condition. They do not take horses to a show that doesn't look like a winner and perform like one too.

During the morning before the show started on Saturday, Eleanor and I went to the farm to visit. We first went to the field to check in on my new baby and his momma. I was amazed at how much he has grown since last week when I saw him. He and Magic Rhythm came running up to me. He stayed around for some attention. He already loves the attention. His momma is looking great, thanks to the good care she has gotten there. She has completely shed her winter coat and is shiny as a new dollar.

We then went over to the office where we found Larry and two of my favorite friends, Stephanie and her mother Cheryl Moore. Stephanie owns a mare named Mercy Me and I love the spunk of that little mare. She is a small mare but she has a gear that is hard to believe on such a small animal She does the Classic Gait but is just as good when asked to perform at the Park Gait. I love to cheer for that mare.

It is a treat to visit the barn at Van Bert's Farm. It is always friendly and feels so much like home. I looked in on my yearling colt that was not ready for this show but will likely go to the show in Middletown early next month. He is taking on weight and is shedding off and getting a beautiful shine to his coat. He is out of my mare LS Mountain Wind Socks and by Sudden Impact.

Sudden Impact foals are really nice babies. They don't know how to do anything but gait. I have a Sudden Impact yearling here on the farm that is stunning in the way he moves. He is well grown out. A beautiful chestnut color. I just have to stand back and admire him every time I am around him. He almost parks out naturally like he is in the show ring. And he looks very alert with his ears straight up.

But back to the show. I look forward to the days when every barn and every stall is filled to capacity in this new and awesome facility. Although it is still a work in progress it is a great venue to gain attention to Rocky Mountain Horses. These horses are such a blessing from God. I can't say enough good about them. And I just want everyone coming to the shows to enjoy watching them and bringing their horses back to complete.

So congratulations to all the winners. Believe me there were no losers there. The horses all looked great and performed really well. They showed the tremendous work that goes into the training and grooming of these horses. If you have never been to one of the shows where Rocky Mountain Horses are shown, you must make it a point to attend. The more you see of them, the more you will love them.

Later everyone.

God Bless and keep you in his loving care.

No comments:

Post a Comment