Wednesday, April 29, 2009

This and That

Welcome to my new follower, Mary Engle. Actually though Mary is not a new follower. She has been following for awhile. I think she reads each and every post I make, "because," she says, "I want to see what Mom has been up to" So as you have guessed now, Mary Engle is my daughter. She has good reason to wonder what Mom has been up to. Every time she comes to the farm, there seems to be a new horse here.


I hope you have watched the video of the recent horse show that Vera has posted on their web page. It has yours truly in it. I am the one in the blue jeans standing by S T Tipton. We were having our pictures made with Flair for Fury. She had just won the yearling filly class. Thank you S T for the fine job you did of showing her and thanks to Van Bert Farms for the first class job of training for this class. I am still excited to have such an outstanding filly. She is a Venture's Black Fury filly. I have bred one of my mares to Fury and we are excited about the prospect of a Fury baby next year. We even have the name already selected.

Spring on the farm is such a great time. It is also a very busy time. We have a garden on the farm this year for the first time in several years. I have not wanted a garden is recent years but since I have children who did, we now have a garden. I forgot how exciting it is to find the vegetables starting to grow. We planted our first garden early So we have peas, potatoes, lettuce, radishes, onions and beets already up. We also have tomatoes, green beans and cucumbers out. Next time out will see us putting corn in the ground.

We have already enjoyed lettuce, radishes and onions from the garden. In addition, while bush hogging the fields last fall, I found a bed of asparagus. It is growing wild and since we have no cows in that field, it has really produced a nice bed. I have been back there cutting it every couple of days.

It will soon be hay time. It comes around quickly when we have as much rain as we have had this year and the sun shines pretty often too. The yard has kept me busy this year as well. I have mowed at least three times already plus the once that Mike and Mary mowed.

My new neighbors moved into their new home this past week end. They are my son Mike and his wife Natalie. So it is new and strange to have someone live so close to me after all these years of this being the only house on the farm and my nearest neighbor being a mile away. It is nice to have them close.

Mike is a great help. He stays busy fixing what I break. We have pretty good program going. I break it, he fixes it. Welcome to the neighborhood, Mike and Natalie.

I hope you will all be able to come to one of the horse shows this year. I am always eager to see the new horses coming in each year. I like seeing who is bringing last year's yearlings in under saddle this year. It is great seeing the yearlings in the early part of the year and the weanlings as the year progresses. I look forward to seeing friends I have made from previous years and hope to see new faces as more people catch on to Rocky Mountain Horses. If you are a new owner, I hope to meet you at one of the shows. If you spot me, come up and introduce yourself. With Rocky Mountain Horses in common, we will have a lot to talk about as we each sing the praises of our own horses.

Later everyone.

God bless you and keep you in his loving care.

No comments:

Post a Comment