Monday, September 28, 2009

A Fun Day

After such a stressful week last week, Lucy, Melissa and I took a trip to Van Bert's Farm today. My purpose was to introduce Melissa to a horse I bought with mainly her in mind. I have been expecting that Morning Glory would return to Vermont any time now and so I was searching for a horse that would be as easy to ride as Morning Glory and as safe as well.

I had the opportunity to buy a horse named Blooming Rose. She is a pretty red mare about 4 years old and very calm and gentle. She stood for Brandon to mount her from the ground without putting a foot in the stirrup. She barely noticed. She stood still until he asked her to move forward. She gaits well and she has a wonderful disposition.

Upon the introduction, Melissa walked up to her and Rosie put her head down to get acquainted. Melissa told me she and Rosie had to get to know each other.

As usual, Jamie rode her until she was very calm and under control. The wind was really strong today and she had been in a stall over the week end and not ridden so she was somewhat frisky when she was turned out for a run. She had a good run and then was saddled and Jamie settled her down before Melissa got on. The term for that is "riding her down". Jamie is very considerate about taking care of Melissa and the rest of us as well. He and Melissa have really hit it off.

So Melissa got on and rode until it was time to go to lunch. When we got back from lunch, Jamie saddled up Rockin Andi. He rode her and gave her a workout. I asked if Melissa could ride the two year old filly with him leading her to make sure she stayed safe on her. He said yes and put Melissa on her. Before long, Melissa was walking her around the barn with a very happy look on her face. Jamie has told her that next year they would do a "Mentor and Me" class at the Rocky Mountain International. That will be a lot of fun for her. I think Jamie is looking forward to it too.

I rode next and ask that I be allowed just to walk her mainly so I could get a good feel for her and of course, Jamie said sure to do whatever felt comfortable to me. Melissa kept assuring me she had rode Andi down for me and that she was ok for me to ride. Of course, I thanked her and told her I felt good about riding after she had ridden her down.

So I rode a while and when I got off, Lucy asked if she would be allowed just to sit on Rockin Andi for a few minutes. Before I could say Jack Rabbit, Lucy was riding the two year old Rockin Andi around the barn. Melissa assured her that she would walk with her every step of the way. And that is exactly what she did. Lucy and the horse did not take one step that Melissa wasn't right there with them. Most of the time she was instructing Momma what she was supposed to do. How to sit, how to hold the reins, how to place her hands and etc. She was fun to watch as she continued to instruct her mother in how to ride as she had been told to do during her riding lessons. This little six year old walking by her mother and the horse and teaching her how to ride. It was cute and sweet beyond description.

In all this Jamie was constantly laughing at his little student turning in to the teacher for her mother. Jamie is such a good hearted sweet person and just wonderful with his little student. He is also very patient with me as well. I am not the best rider. I don't even ride as good as Melissa. But he assures me that we are going to work on that this winter and I would be riding in horse shows next year.

At this point, I want to again congratulate Jamie on a nice first place win in a trail obstacle course in Tn last week end. I gathered he and his Dad, H T were the only two riding Rocky Mountain Horses. So they made great ambassadors for the breed. Jamie won his first place riding a gelding named J Lee Walker and H T rode Blue on Black. H T came in third in his class and was only 4 points behind the first place rider.

It was a wonderful day and ended on a very high note for the three of us. The six year old, her mother Lucy and me, the Greatest Grandma. (Melissa's assessment of me) We headed home, a happier trio not to be found anywhere.

In way of an update on Alyssa, she has her drainage tube removed now and we are thinking that the doctors will take her off of the ventilator by this week end. The doctor has expressed surprise that she is doing so well. Of course, we are very pleased but not surprised. After all, isn't that what we have been praying for. God is good and he answers every prayer.

Don't tell me he didn't answer your prayer. God doesn't always give us what we ask, even beg, for. He knows best and we don't always understand but God is still God and he is in control. Tonight we are giving him thanks and praise for his gracious goodness to our family.

May God bless and keep you in his loving care.


Regards

Mary

There is nothing like the outside of a horse for the inside of a man.

~~ Winston Churchill~~

No comments:

Post a Comment