Wednesday, September 30, 2009

One Last Show

Mt Girl's little sister. Celine's Shinin Star was born May 22, 2009. In this picture, she was just a few days old. She is out of the same mare, L S Mountain Wind Socks, as Mt Girl and this filly is by Sudden Impact, a son of Choco Dock. She, Mt Girl and their mother are almost always close to each other in the pasture.

With the World Show now a recent memory, the International behind us and the Mountain Pleasure Show over, we are now preparing for the KMSHA show that will be held in the horse park in Lexington in a week and a half. The trainers at Van Berts are busy riding and perfecting the gait, the back up and all the other things that go into a good showing by the talented horses entrusted to their care.

S T was riding my stallion on Monday when we were there. I can never get over how beautiful he is and how strong he looks both under saddle and in halter. My goal is to ride him someday. Probably not in a show ring but just to walk around the barn on his back would be a dream come true. I am so thankful to the Monhollens of Silver Creek for allowing me the opportunity to buy Cody. And to Van Berts for approaching me with the news he was available. Thanks Larry, Rebecca and Eddie.

I rode at the Horse Park the first year (2007) after I bought Blue Ridge Mountain Girl. I was a terrible rider and nervous as "a hen on a hot rock" as Chris Tipton put it. Mt Girl was only two years old. I was 65 years old and had been riding her for four months. I was terrified that I would fall off of her in the arena and make a fool of myself. As my daughter asked me "What is the worse that could happen?" My answer, "Well I could embarrass myself" And her question, "And that has never happened before?" Mary Beth sure knows how to put things in prospective for me.

So I rode. The first class I rode in there were 5 entries. I got fifth place. I wasn't embarrassed about the place. I was just happy I was able to escape with my life. I didn't fall off and I did have some compliments on how well I did in my first ever show. My friends were being very kind to me.

The next class, I got the next to last place. I won a moral victory on that one. No, moral victories don't pay very well but it does the heart good. I was just recovering from a fall I had taken off of Mt Girl just a couple of weeks before the show and I felt like I had achieved a lot by getting back on her and riding in the show. But, the worse was yet to come.

I was feeling all good and confident that I was able to ride in the show and do reasonable well. Staying on her did fit that category. I took Mt Girl home and the next time off of her was devastating to my confidence.

I was boarding her at a barn near my house. I still lived in Taylorsville. I had a friend that came to the barn one day to ride with me. She saddled up Hershey and I saddled up Mt Girl. She made sure Mt Girl stood in place while I mounted. We rode in the barn since it was December and cold outside. The barn is built with the stalls in the middle. So we were riding on the outside walls. Sheri and Hershey were in front and Mt Girl and I followed along. At one point, I stopped Mt Girl to get her to stand without walking off until I asked her to do so. And I backed her several times to perfect her backing.

Hershey and Sheri had gone around to the other side of the stalls out of sight. I signaled Mt Girl to walk on and she took off running to catch up with Hershey. I knew I was going off but I had a glimmer of hope I would hang on until she caught up and slowed down. No such luck. As we rounded the corner she was going faster than the winning horse on Derby Day. Well maybe not. I didn't make the curve and off I went. The sliding barn door broke my fall and I in turn broke the barn door. As I fell, I looked up and all I could see was flying hooves.

I was terrified to get back on a horse for a long time. The next month, we went to Van Berts and I got back on Mt Girl but I was too terrified to ride her. When Chris walked out of the barn to the tack room I was terrified. Mike got her reins and held her until Chris came back and helped me get off. It was hard for me to get over the fright. It was hard to talk about it for the longest time. I felt so inadequate. So much like a coward. To just think about getting back on Mt Girl terrified me. My heart raced and I could not draw an easy breathe. When I drove up to the barn, I did everything but scream and go running off. I had a lot of excuses for not riding. I forgot my helmet, it was getting too late etc. Anything that gave a an remote excuse for not riding. Such as I wore the wrong color shirt to ride today. You know. I came up with some pretty valid excuses actually. The wrong color shirt was one of the better ones.

In the spring I finally did get back on her and I was starting to get comfortable again. We were in White Plains Tn at a horse show down there. I was going to ride in that big arena. She was now 3 years old and I was getting control of my emotions. So Chris and Stacie said ok and they saddled her up for me. I got on her outside of the practice arena. It was some time before the class and I was riding to practice. I have never ridden a horse that was so good to ride. Mt Girl was getting better and better. She had settled into an easy gait and we were riding around and around the practice arena. I felt like I was riding on a cloud. Her gait was awesome. I felt like I was beginning to understand what I was doing on a horse. It was the best riding experience I have ever had.

I had taken a few lessons close to home and I was once again getting more comfortable on a horse. I don't know what happened but all the sudden Mt Girl was startled and she went one way and I went the other. Off I came in the middle of the wet rocks. It was soft fine rock and barely hurt at all. My pride was injured more than anything. I think this was the first time I really got to know Jamie as the kind and sweet person he is.

He helped me up and walked with me to the wash bay and turned the hose on and helped me wash the rocks off of my arms, hands and face. I then went to the motel, took a shower and changed my clothes. When I got back to the show grounds Jamie was there ready to take me to lunch and put me at ease. He has a very kind and gentle heart. That is why Jamie is such a good person to teach Melissa how to ride Mountain Horses. He has a kind, gentle easy going way about him that keeps her in the right frame of mind to ride and do what she needs to.

Thank you Jamie.

God sends us angels. Sometimes we can see them and we call them friends.

Alyssa is off of the respirator and the other tubes and now is only on monitors. She may go home next week. The doctors are surprised at how well she is doing and say she is doing better than they expected. We who know the power of prayer are not surprised. Thank you Heavenly Father.

H T told me Wilda has a new horse and rode some last week end. She is so brave. She gives me courage to ride. Wilda's new horse by the way is J Lee Walker. Let's see how long she gets to ride this one. Good luck, Wilda. Don't let H T sell him out from under you.

May God keep you in his gentle and loving care.


Regards,


Mary

He has galloped through young girl's dreams, added richness to grown women's lives and served men in war and strife.

~~~Toni Robinson~~~

From Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul

Then were there brought unto him little children that he should put his hands on them and pray and the disciples rebuked them.

But Jesus said "Suffer little children and forbid them not to come unto me for of such is the kingdom of heaven".

And he laid his hands on them and depared thence.

Matthew 19: 13-15

No comments:

Post a Comment