Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dejavue (all over again)

Tonight as I was just reading H T 's blog and preparing to write my own, the lights went out. We are having a wind storm in our part of the country. The lights soon came back on so it was a short outage. As I write the wind is howling and the dogs are snoring. But the temperture is not that bad so the furnace isn't running.

I really want to talk about choosing a first horse. Yes, I read all the books before I went horse shopping and largely ignored all of them when I fell in love with Mt Girl. Mt Girl is a beautiful black mare with white socks on three feet and a splash of white on her face She is absolutely beautiful. Her mane and tail are not just long they are exceptionally long. But I over estimated my ability to ride and perhaps I chose the wrong horse for me. But I am so glad I have her. She has taught me a lot about horses. I am a hard headed dense person sometimes. OK often. I may not have learned any other way than the hard way.

Rocky Mountain Horses have a kind and sweet disposition. Mt Girl is no exception. In my over confidence, I forgot all about making sure the horse trusts me. I unfornately forgot I needed to gain her confidence and teach her that I am the herd leader in our herd of two. I could tell by how she reacted to Chris Tipton that she loved him and she would do anything for him. After my infamous fall while riding Mt Girl (I broke a barn door that I fell against) and I told Chris about my unfortunate experience, it was decided I should take her back to him for more training since she would be showing in 08 anyway.

He walked her off of my trailer, tacked her up and got on her not knowing what to expect. Not only had she thrown me, she had also thrown a seasoned rider. But when Chris got on her, she was calm, he rode her awhile and then turned her out for a good run. That is when he jokingly accused me of making up stories about this sweet animal. And watching her with Chris aboard, I almost wondered if I had just had a bad nightmare and dreamed the whole thing.

She was like a child that had been home sick and had finally gotten to come home from a miserable camping experience. It was a terrible experience for her and through Chris's kindness and patience plus her confidence in him she soon recovered.

I was not so lucky. For months, when I thought of riding, I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I did not ride her for several months after that. But I finally recovered and got back on her in Tennessee to ride in a horse show there. Off I came again. It is often said that when a rider takes "an unscheduled dismount" from a horse they blame the horse and not themselves. It was not the fault of this kind and gentle animal that I am a terrible rider. That experience didn't upset me as the previous one had and I was ready to ride again.

Since then I have purchased a horse that is better suited to my skill (or lack thereof) as a rider. Chocolate Amigo is a gelding and does not have those periods of uncertainity that Mt Girl had as a two year old. She would get a little spooked and I did not know know how to reassure her and keep her calm. I am learning more about riding from Chocolate Amigo but I can't wait to get back on Mt Girl and when I am ready I will know it.

I have never been on a horse that had such a smooth gait. Riding her is like sitting in a rocking chair. I have just been along for the ride and it has been the greatest ride of any I ever had in my life. That has been my problem in part. I was just the rider letting her go where she wanted to go and do what she wanted to do.

I am working on form and most of all balance and just knowing how to anticipate what the horse is thinking and going to do. With Amigo that is pretty predictable. He is a great horse and I am learning to keep balanced through different exercises such as figure 8s and riding around cones and barrels. He is a wonderful beginners horse. He is sweet and affectionate and always comes up to me when I am anywhere around the field. He just can't seem to get enough scratching and petting.

I suppose this is the long way of saying that H T in his considerable wisdom is giving such good advice to all riders. Feel your horse out on the ground. Watch for tell tale signs that your horse needs some time to work off excess energy and any other issues. Learn to think like your horse and read the signals they give that they need reassurance and more ground work. When you or I learn to be the herd leader our time with our horses will be so much more enjoyable and rewarding.

Later, God bless and keep you in His care.

No comments:

Post a Comment