Thursday, February 12, 2009

No Boring Days on the Farm

Are you bored? Do you find yourself wondering what to do to fill your time? I doubt anyone who has a farm has that problem. Since I have returned to the farm, I have had no television. I don't miss it. I don't need it to entertain me.

Working on the farm with animals is enough exercise and entertainment for me. I also don't go to the gym to "work out". Today my workout was feeding the animals which included carrying a bale of hay accross the barn lot to the feeder heifer. Can we picture steaks on the grill?

I had to run into town, wash my son's truck that I got all muddy when I got it stuck, go to the bank and run into the post office.

I was on my way home and had crossed the cattle guard onto my property when I saw a beautiful sight. It was four of the most beautiful mountain horses gaiting across the river bottom. I stopped to enjoy the fluid movement of these beautiful animals but at the same time wondering where they had come from. They were running from the west and the setting sun was blinding me enough I could not tell who they were.

I did know that I am the only one around my area with mountain horses and I could definitely tell they were mountain horses from their fluid movement and what little color I could see. As they got closer to my truck I could see it was my four yearlings. My first thought was that I had left a gate open. But I really didn't think I was that careless. They ran in front of the truck and gaited all the way back to the barn and the enclosure where they had been.

At this point one would hope that they would just go back into the field they came out of but I guess we all know better than that. I soon saw they had knocked down a panel and had made their escape from there. They walked into the hay field and I went to get the feed bucket. Always a good plan. But before I could tempt them with feed they turned and started running back down the road to where they had just come from.

I took the feed back down to where they were eating grass but they had just recently made their escape and was not about to let me catch them to put them back in prision. So we played cat and mouse for about a half hour and I finally got them into another enclosure where they would have a fence surrounding them and would not be completely gone in the morning.

Tomorrow morning will be spent putting the fence back and leading them one by one back to their field. In the meantime they are safely put away for the night and today I had a good dose of exercise. As well as my strength training.

Never a boring day on the farm when you have some animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment