Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The lower tobacco barn. The upper barn had the most damage. This missing tin on the roof was replaced and screws used to secure the roof to prevent damage from future wind storms.




I will be having an almost new barn tomorrow. Recently I had a lot of work done on the structures of the farm. I just can't stand to see the barns falling down when I am out driving in the country side. You can see them everywhere. They are along interstates and country roads. You can see them along state roads too. They are a reminder of days gone by when they were used for the tobacco crops that were everywhere. We no longer have tobacco raised on the farm but the structures are old and mostly sound and most of all, still useful.





Steve has been very busy this week rewiring the barn. The lights have not been working in the main part of the barn where we bring horses in and store hay. Because of the two things, he has done a lot of work to prevent future problems. He took all of the old wiring out of the barn as well as old plugs and light fixtures and replaced all of them. He has also put outdoor plugs in some of the areas where the horses will be. When he finishes in the barn tomorrow it will be in very good shape. He has put something in for me as a surprise and I was told I could not come to see the finished result until he says so. That will tomorrow.





The wind does a lot of damage here. Our structure that was a milk parlor and milk room combination was built in the early 80s. It seems like it is still new but when I start adding up the years, it has been there a long time. Almost thirty years. The roof was originally put on as a shingle roof. The wind comes out of the west here and the roof takes a hit with every wind storm. So this year instead of making just the needed repairs to the roof, I had my contractor to strip it down to the wood, repair all the damaged boards and put on a metal roof.





It has made a very attractive building. And it is very useful. Someday the existing structures in that setup will be a nice horse barn. I have thought frequently of building a horse barn that is separate but with the structures I already have I think we can remodel and get that done. Oh it won't be the fancy new structures that I see that set my heart to racing but it will be one that won't set my head spinning from the cost.





We already use the part of the milk barn as storage. Part is already in use as a tack/feed room. We may do something different at some point about the feed but for now it is adequate and not costing us any extra for storage of feed stuff. We also have a refrigerator for storage of medicine for the livestock and drinks for the boarders. If they want to store soft drinks or water, they have a place.





We are getting things organized and handy for the horse operation and for those who board horses with us. And in the process it is making the place more attractive and nicer for us too





In the main barn that had been used for feeding the cattle and dairy cows we now use part for hay storage and part for horse stalls. Now the stalls are not fancy just adequate for holding horses that need treatment or extra feed. We have done a lot in just two years but a lot is yet to be done. Every new project started and completed seems like a big thing. Again, I can not say enough good about the time and energy put into our farm by my children. None of this would be done without them.





Mike keeps my equipment running. Steve is now doing my wiring. Mary Beth has put her heart into cleanup work on the farm. Debbie has pitched in to help at times as well. Bill and I raised a very nice family. I think maybe more due to him than to me. I was the old softee and he did the hard job of discipline. Not that I didn't discipline but he was the back up and when and where I might have failed he didn't. He had true grit and determination when it came to our family. He also had a heart full of love for them. He would have moved heaven and earth to protect them. He was a really good father.





The tobacco barns also had some roof damage from the winds. Several of the sheets of metal had been blown off during the recent storms. Again my contractor went to work on them. Where the metal had been nailed down, he went in and replaced the nails with screws. The upper barn took over 400 screws. It is a rather large barn made out of oak. It has been standing for many years now and with the repairs made it will stand many more years. There is still repairs to be made but the roof was the main thing. The lower barn had the same problems. It cost me more than the insurance paid but it was money well spent. Although no tobacco is hung in these barns now, they are still buildings that can be used for hay storage and to house the equipment.





So it has been a busy week with the family here. But my two daughters in law have done the hard work of putting meals on the table. Chrissy has taken the lead in cooking supper almost every night. I have done my part with clean up and helping prepare the meals but she is the rock, the get it done person. I no longer really know how to cook a big meal since I hardly do that anymore and certainly not every day. Tonight Mike's wife, Natalie, prepared her Germany spaghetti. I made brownies for desert. The two brothers, their wives, the three Ms grandchildren and I set down to a real family meal together. Does that ever feel good. Almost like the old days but not the same either.





Every family meal together, their Dad is mentioned. Something brings a memory back. When that person isn't present, every occasion brings back a memory because those memories aren't far from the surface. Every place around here has a memory of him to unite him from the past to our present and future.





God bless and keep you in his loving care





Later





Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment