Monday, July 6, 2009

Please Bring a Desert

Don't we all love pot luck? That is my favorite get together. We recently had a pig roast and pot luck dinner. I can not say enough about the good food we had. Almost all was home made and delicious. My granddaughter, Lucy, made broccoli casserole. It is always requested when we have a family meal together. I make a good one but Lucy's is the best. The table was loaded with good things to eat and we had a feast like it was Thanksgiving in June. I can't say it often enough. I love pot luck. And we should be just as thankful in June as we are in November.

When we were planning the pig roast and deciding who in the family should provide what, I was assigned the desert. The family said, "And of course you will make banana pudding." This has become a dish that everyone loves and asks me to make often.

I promised Cheryl Moore that I would give the recipe on my blog. Mike Brummer had told her I have a good blog and gave her the address to follow it. I want to thank Mike for his kind and encouraging words to me about my blog. I was humbled to think anyone thought it was that good. But thanks Mike, I truly appreciate the encouragement.

Here is the recipe. It was on the can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk about 16 or 17 years ago and it is a favorite everywhere I take it even to the point some people want to hide it and not share. I won't embarrass Wilda by telling that she would not serve it at her barn party last year and she and H T did not even leave Jamie a bite of it. I believe her exact words were "will you shut up about the banana pudding" when I reminded her that it was in the refrigerator.

1 (14 oz) can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 c cold water
1 (4 oz serving size) package of instant vanilla pudding mix
2 c of whipping cream
36 vanilla wafers
3 med bananas, sliced and dipped in lemon juice


In a large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and water. Add the pudding mix and beat well. Chill 5 minutes. While it is chilling whip the cream. Fold the whipped cream into the chilled pudding mixture. Next spoon 1 cup of the pudding mixture into a large serving bowl. Top with wafers, bananas and pudding. Repeat layering twice ending with pudding. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on the top. Chill until ready to serve.

It is best if prepared and served the same day. Preparation time is less than 15 minutes.

Please, if you decide to make this recipe bring some to Jamie. He really got left out.

I want to congratulate all the winners from last week end's State Show held in Winchester at the Equine Center. It was a good show and so many good horses there. I especially want to congratulate Em Dee Mountain Horses and Cool Shade for the great show they had. I am so glad I have my mare already bred to their stallion Venture's Black Fury. I am afraid the breeding fee may go up. Fury had a great show and won a truck load of first place ribbons. Michael is going to have to build Judy and Fury a new trophy room. They also placed 1st in the Yearling Colt class with a colt out of Fury. Two of Fury's offspring placed 1st and 3rd in the Yearling Filly class.

Judy was also very successful with Legendary Lady.

Van Bert Farm was as always well represented in the winner's circle with their outstanding trainers and horses. The yearling filly that took first place was shown by Jamie Derickson for Real Horse Farm. And S T Tipton won with their mare Mercy Me. Vera's mare won or placed high in her classes. The team of S T Tipton and Vera Patterson won the Pro Am class on Autumn Venture.

Van Berts had too many winning entries for me to remember all of them but you can go to the UMH web site later and see all of the placing for Van Bert's as well as all the others at the show. And congratulations to all of these talented riders and horses.

I appreciate the work that Jamie and S T have done with my horses this year. My 2 old filly place 3rd in the Pro Am class with Jamie and Wilda riding as a team. Jamie has done a great job with Rockin Andi. To have 2 year old filly and to come in 3rd was a real honor. To make it even more remarkable was that Wilda had never ridden Rockin Andi until the moment she got on her in the show ring. That makes her disposition and training outstanding. Wilda is of course a very talented rider as well.

I will have more from the horse show in coming days. Until then,

God bless you and keep you in his loving care.

Regards

Mary


Commit thy works unto the Lord and thy thoughts shall be established.
Proverbs 16: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment